We realise that you may not always be happy with the service you have received. This could be because:

  • There has been a delay in providing you with a service
  • We have failed or refused to provide a service
  • You have received a poor quality of service or a mistake has been made
  • You are not happy with a staff members attitude or behaviour
  • You believe we have acted against our policies
  • You believe you have been unreasonably disadvantaged by our policies
  • You believe you have been unfairly discriminated against

You should not use the complaints procedure to:

  • Request information
  • Request a service for the first time,
  • To report issues of anti social behaviour, litter or graffiti,
  • Complain about decisions against which there is a right of appeal (either within the Council or to an independent tribunal)
  • Re open a previously concluded complaint or to have a complaint reconsidered where we have already given our final decision

If you are dissatisfied with a service we have provided, before making a formal complaint, we would ask that you contact the relevant department to discuss your concerns so that we can put things right as soon as possible.

If it has not been possible to resolve your complaint at this stage or you remain unhappy with the response, you should then use the formal complaints procedure. The formal complaints procedure has two stages:

Stage 1 - your complaint will be referred to the relevant head of service or nominated officer who will acknowledge receipt of your complaint in writing within 5 working days. They will aim to investigate your complaint and provide a reply in full within 15 working days outlining what decision we have come to and why we have made that decision.

Sometimes if the complaint is complex it may take longer and if this is the case we will keep you informed on the progress of your complaint. If you are still not satisfied with our response, you can write to ask for the decision to be reviewed by the Chief Executive.

Stage 2- the Chief Executive will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 5 working days and will aim to provide a reply in full within 15 working days where possible. Again if the review takes longer you will be kept informed of progress.

The Chief Executive when replying to you will advise you what to do next if you remain dissatisfied. This will depend upon the service your complaint is about. Most complaints the Council receive will be dealt with further by the Local Government Ombudsman, however as a social housing provider, certain complaints will be dealt with by the Housing Ombudsman.

You should be aware that the Ombudsman will not normally consider your complaint unless we have first had the opportunity to resolve the matter.

General Data Protection Regulation 2016 (GDPR) / Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) - Privacy Notice.

Under the GDPR and DPA, Mansfield District Council, Chesterfield Road South, Mansfield, Notts. NG19 7BH is a Data Controller for the information it holds about you. The Council will hold the information you have provided within this form for the purpose of investigating and dealing with your complaint. The lawful basis under which the Council uses personal data for this purpose is Legitimate Interest.

Your data will be held for permanently for the purposes of this complaint.. Subject to some legal exceptions, you have the right to request a copy of the personal information the Council holds about you; to have any inaccuracies corrected; to have your personal data erased; to place a restriction on our processing of your data; to object to processing; and to request your data to be ported (data portability). The information provided by you may also be used for other functions carried out by the Council in accordance with GDPR and DPA. For more information about how the Council may use your data and to learn more about your rights please see the Council’s Privacy Statement

If you have any concerns or questions about how your personal data is processed, please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer at the above address or by email to dpo@mansfield.gov.uk. If you are dissatisfied with the Council’s response you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office in writing to:

  • Information Commissioner's Office,
  • Wycliffe House,
  • Water Lane,
  • Wilmslow,
  • Cheshire SK9 5AF

or by telephone 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745.

Was this page helpful?

Share this page